…and the science of FIZZING PANCAKES!
This is a recorded LIVE LABS session from the 16th of February 2021
You will need: A plate, 1 lemon plus some extra lemon juice, baking powder or bicarbonate of soda, food colouring, a teaspoon, and a tray
- Before you cut your lemon gently squeeze and press your lemon to release some juice inside.
- Ask an adult to carefully cut your lemon in half.
- Place both halves (juice side facing upwards) on the plate so they sit flat.
- Add a few drops of food colouring to each lemon half (a different colour for each half if you have it) and mix with a spoon or fork.
- Add a teaspoon of baking powder/ bicarb to each half and gently mix it in with the lemon juice and watch the lemon react.
- Evenly cover a tray with Bicarbonate of soda
- Pour some lemon juice into 2 pots and use food colouring to make them different colours
- Using a Calpol or a similar medicine syringe, draw up some of the lemon juice and drop some over the tray.
- Watch the fizzy eruptions and make some fizzy patterns