You will need:
- An old sock
- Grass seed
- Elastic bands
- Red pen
- Googly eyes
- Glass with water
- Collect an old sock and fill the toe end with 2 tablespoons of grass seed.
- Add about 6 large spoonful’s of soil and tie at the base of the sock.
- Pinch a nose and ears and secure with an elastic band.
- Add googly eyes or draw on eyes and a mouth.
- Cut the tail end of the sock so there is about 5 cm length and sit it in a cup of water.
- Keep the water topped up daily and after about 5 days your grass head will begin to grow hair!
Make a couple of grass heads and investigate what conditions they prefer.
Keep one in the dark and one in the light. Which one grows better?
Give one water and leave the other one without. Which one grows better?
As you should have seen in your investigation, all plants (including grass) need some essential ingredients to grow.
They need water and sunlight as well as Carbon Dioxide found in the air.
Notice that most plants are green. This is because there is another essential ingredient for plant growth found inside them. This is called Chlorophyll and allows the plants to absorb sunlight!